Lilith Van Biesen, Rupesh Bhatia, and I came together to brainstorm what developers can learn from Admins & Consultants. Here’s a shortlist of my personal notes, may be helpful for some.
1. Admin is more than just configuration
2. Every good Admin is a Consultant
3. Be humble, accept your shortcoming, make mistakes
4. Think like a human!
5. Develop proposals
6. Pick up the phone
7. Everything you can configure should be configurable
8. Data migration matters
9. OoB first -> Know the platform
10. Don’t code!
11. Combine code and configuration whenever possible
12. Learn to say no in a friendly way
13. Always be learning new things from different people
14. Speak the language
15. Have great (non-technical) Communication skills
16. Build relationships
17. Provide (non-technical) training and demos
18. Produce great (non-technical) Documentation
19. Become good at presenting
20. There’s no shortcut to success